I was texting with my daughter, Taz. She was watching “Otherhood”, so she texted me saying how much she loved me. Awww, that was so sweet.
Our conversation continued and she was inquiring how packing was going. I did a quick count and I am over 50 boxes AND I AM NOT DONE! Taz was laughing and challenging if I was truly downsizing. I am! I promise! WTF? How is this going to fit in a one-bedroom apartment?
Let’s break it down:
- First, these boxes are smaller in size. Slightly bigger than liquor boxes. I only have 3 wardrobe boxes. Yeah, yeah, Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
- 4 boxes of heirloom Christmas decorations- non-negotiable, these will be divvied up between the kids in the next 3-5 years.
- 3-4 boxes of kid mementoes. I’ve saddled the kids with about 6 boxes. Once again, another 3-5 years before they are ready.
- 4-6 boxes of photos and other mementos of mine. This is my next big project. Over the next 12-18 months I want to sort and organize these. Once again in preparation to dump them on the kids.
- 4 boxes of wine glasses, serving bowls and platters. Stuff to entertain.
- 5-6 boxes of books, financial records and office supplies.
- 7-8 boxes for kitchen stuff.
Yada, yada – you see where this is going. I recognize that I have a bunch of memory stuff that the kids want and I refuse to callously toss. I just need to suck it up and finally organize it. I have ideas like a family cookbook complete with photos of past celebrations and the like. The kids know I’ll be working on this for them and they are grateful.
I reviewed my floor plan to see make sure things will fit. Thankfully, I don’t have a sofa so I can get the dining room table settled and then measure out how big a sofa I can get. I think it will be more of a loveseat instead of a sofa. Everything will fit, and hopefully not feel cramped.
This week is tightly choreographed. Pick up keys on Wednesday, movers Thursday, garage sale Saturday, Monday is internet installation, cleaners & Salvation Army pickup Tuesday. Sunday is for unpacking and my girlfriend volunteered her very handy hubby to build my IKEA dresser. Bless them both!
The Hunter came over so we could do some admin work for his company plus he did some laundry. His washing machine in his new place isn’t working. He’s happy. He sent me the sweetest text last night about how grateful he feels towards me. I too am grateful. The man taught me to love again and how to enjoy my sexuality. For that I too am forever grateful. I’ll write more about this later.
Now, time for bed amongst the boxes. I better get that extra storage the new place offers. I’m gonna need it…