I spent Saturday working on my numbers. I went through the past eight months of bank statements, credit card statements and logged in all of my expenses with categories so I can FINALLy figure out where the hell my $$ are going.
It was eye-opening. I have spent Sunday and today thinking about what I have learned. I still have more to figure out, but the Big Picture is not pretty. It’s a combination of good news and bad news.
- Maggie & Co has some serious overhead even though I have made cuts. I spend a lot of money on health insurance (unavoidable) and on some business necessities that I simply can’t forego. Between my car payment, gas, auto insurance, I am spending a lot of money on that category (over $800/month). I don’t even drive a fancy car for crying out loud.
- I am spending more than I am earning which explains that sucking noise I am continually hearing — it’s all my savings being sucked out of my account.
- I’m balanced on the edge right now. I have money coming in, but the question is how fast? Will I fall off the edge before I receive it? That could keep me awake at night! It’s too soon to say, but I need to crunch the numbers a bit more.
That’s the doom and gloom I am digesting at the moment. One thing that Dave Ramsey says is sometimes the only solution is to generate more income. I need to do that. I need a side hustle to help take some pressure off Maggie & Co. The Hunter needs to join me in our search for the almighty dollar. Having said all of that, there is some good news:
- I didn’t have too much fluff in my numbers. I have some subscriptions and frills that I can dump. It won’t be a huge savings, but it will help. This just shows me that all my cost-cutting measures were necessary.
- I haven’t spent anything on credit cards in months.
- I am ready to sell some old jewelry and the last time I got an estimate it was worth $5,000 and I didn’t trust the buyer. Even if I just get the $5k, that will help get my emergency savings funded and start paying down my debt.
- The Hunter is standing by ready to help. He is ready to push this boulder up the hill with me. I just need to sit down with him, walk through the numbers and create a budget we both agree with.
My low point was this morning. I’m already a tad cranky as I am trying to create some space to think about my numbers while I still push through work. Then I had a bleep with a major resource for Maggie & Co. I couldn’t log on. Do I owe them $$? Yes, I was three months behind with Month 3 due tomorrow. The number I owed made me burst into frustrated tears — over $2,000. Yes, this shit is that expensive. Fortunately I was able to pay two months of it and log on, but I need to get current with the balance. Right after I dealt with that, the bank called about an automatic payment that didn’t go through. Sigh.
I look ahead to the income that is coming in over the next couple of months, even the next 30 days, and I will be fine. I’m just in a really tight spot right now. The Hunter just landed a new client that will help and I think will be a great referral source in a couple of months.
Breathe, that’s all I can do. Breathe and exercise and just keep working hard. Now, anybody got any good side hustle ideas? I’m open to ideas!